Can i bring criminal fraud charges against a seller who takes money for a car then refuses to give me the car?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marysville, CA

we had an agreement in which I gave 1,300 down and was to make 2- $600 payments to pay it off. when I had trouble making the 2 large payments due to unexpected loss of work, I went to talk to him. First he took the keys off my purse so I had no choice in the matter, then we came to a new agreement to keep it at his house so he didn't have to worry about it becoming damaged while i was taking longer to pay it off, and I could make more, smaller payments. I paid 1,105 over the next 8 weeks, then when I had it paid down to $95 owed, he avoided me, hid from me, hid the car, then went to DMV and filed a fraudulent Repo Certificate stating that I hadn't paid on the car & removed my name as registered owner. I have filed in small claims, but would like to bring criminal charges against him,

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Scott Richard Kaufman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . A few quick points:
    1- Sorry this happened to you;
    2- If you were a "business" then yes, the police would treat this as a criminal act, but, since you are an individual, the police will state "this is a civil matter" and will then do nothing for you;
    3- Filing in small claims may work for you BUT a letter from an attorney would more likely shake this cat to his very essence for having the nerve to do this AND would require he pay that atty for his or her time as he violated the CLRA which is a CA consumer protection act good against a business AND against other individuals making misrepresentations.

Related Topics

Criminal charges for fraud

Fraud is a white collar crime in which someone deceives another to secure unlawful or unfair benefits, such as financial or political gain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,291 answers this week

2,744 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,291 answers this week

2,744 attorneys answering