Can i bring claim against police dept. for "excessive force" for being shot w/taser while riding my bike?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

i was riding my bike alongside the sidewalk when a whitemale jumped out of a car pointing a gun/taser at me yelling get down, get down, get down on the ground now! in all honesty, i thought that i was caught up in the middle of something so i made an attempt to shield myself in between two vehicles. by the time i could get off my bike to lay down i was shot in the back w/taser. please explain. thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert John Healy Jr.

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . It is possible to bring a claim for excessive force that resulted from the use a taser. Whether you have a valid claim, will require a detailed discussion with an attorney as well as a review of the police records regarding the incident.

  2. Paul A Meissner Jr.

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Whether the force utilized is justified depends upon the facts, and what reasonable suspicion the officer had at the time the force was applied. There is a possible cause of action, but whether there are recoverable damages depends upon your injury or detention. You should discuss the specifics with an attorney to have your question properly answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,491 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,491 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering