Can I bring action against the survey company and the township that violated many of their own ordinances concerning landlocked

Asked almost 2 years ago - Benton Harbor, MI

We purchsed a 25 acre lot we split 5 to build but the 20 remaining acres were landlocked. The city did not catch it now home on the 5 has been foreclosed and our 20 acre lot is not useable or sellable? The municipality has many ordinances that they violated and the splits should not have passed a series of board reviews. the land is worth much less now and there was plenty of road frontage to avoid this problem. The bank that foreclosed probably wont agree to a reshaping of the split without some type of legal action.
What can we do?

1. Mark H. Davidson

2

Answered . Wait, you want to sue the city for not protecting you then? This question cannot be answered in this format; you need to visit an attorney who specializes in real estate- zoning issues. Surveyors are not lawyers so it's hard to sue them for legal malpractice.

2. Alan D. Walton

Pro

2

Answered . Ultimately, it was you who split the property to create a landlocked parcel. The ordinances are not there to protect you from yourself! You may want to consider suing the owner of the foreclosed home for an easement, although since you created the condition, the court might not look kindly on your claim. The best approach may be to purchase an easement from the owner.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Davidson. You may also run into governmental immunity issues, as well.

You should consult with a real estate attorney to discuss your options. Your situation is too complex to be resolved in a forum like this.

James Frederick