Can I bring a Section 1983 lawsuit against a police department for illegally searching my home and perjured testimony?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fairfax, VA

A police officer placed me under arrest without requesting my identification, conducting an investigation, or interviewing two witnesses. Within a few minutes of his arrival, I was locked in a police car while the officer re-entered the home that I owned and searched my upstairs bedroom without permission or a warrant to locate my purse that contained my driver's license. Multiple witnesses observed that I was left alone and unattended handcuffed in a police car in front of my home for 20 minutes while the officers were inside searching for my ID. The arresting officer appeared at the hearing and presented fabricated testimony that resulted in a guilty verdict for domestic assault and battery. Internal Affairs re-opened the investigation 15 months later when 4 witnesses came forward.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

1

Answered . Can you bring a suit? yes.

Will you win? Who knows. As I recall from your previous post an officer was demoted for his actions and a IA investigation remains ongoing. From what I recall of the facts, you don't have grounds to sue the County/Police sufficient to overcome their complete/qualified immunity. But you should, as was recommended earlier, sit down with civli rights attorney ASAP.

2. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, but the issue will be whether the facts are sufficient and whether you can overcome any immunity issues.
    Follow Mr. Rafters advice.

3. Melvin Edward Williams

1

Answered . Yes, you may file suit for such claims. Whether you will win is another story. I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your area who specializes in this type of representation.