Can I break my lease if my home was burgularized twice

Asked 3 months ago - Detroit, MI

I talked to the landlord and they don't want to

1. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . Not very likely. If you can prove that the landlord has somehow breached a duty to keep the property secure, I suppose it is possible. It is also possible that if you tell the landlord you are leaving for this reason, that he will understand and not come after you. There is no guarantee of that, however.

James Frederick

2. Christopher Allyn Sevick

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Frederick in his reply. If the burglary was not a fault of the landlord, nor could likely have been prevented by him, it is difficult to likely address that this is a breach of duty of fitness for the landlord and would thus allow you to break the lease. However, if you can present him with filed police reports I have found that it often helps to support your request that you be allowed to terminate the lease and minimize the penalties they may impose. But as Mr. Frederick addressed there is no guarantee on that.