Can I break my lease if I stated I wanted to stay longer than a year but after signing the lease was told the owners moving back

Asked over 1 year ago - Ramrod Key, FL

I moved into a rental that I had told the real estate agent I would be staying in for at least a year but if my job funding got extended would be staying in longer. She never said anything at that time but after signing the lease and moving in she informed me that the owners are moving back in at the end of the lease, she knew this ahead of time, and never would have rented to me if she knew I wanted to stay longer than a year. She doesn't recall anything of our conversation.... of course. The lease states option of resigning if all parties agree. If this is in there shouldn't I have been told ahead of time there wasn't an option of extending past a year? I want to break the lease early without penalty or payment so I am not stuck finding a place for 4 months during high season. Can I

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

1

Answered . The courts will hold you responsible for the terms of the lease you signed.

Terminate early and you may be sued.

That is why it is important when negotiating a contract that you ensure what you want is in writing. There are occassions where evidence of what someone said as part of the negotiations WILL be deemed as incorporated in the contract, but those are infrequent and nothing you posted indicates you'd be able to include what you were told as part of the agreement.

If you are desperate, see a local Landlord Tenant attorney and discuss options to see if you are willing to pay to buy your way out of the lease agreement.