Skip to main content

Can i break my lease due to plumbing?

Jacksonville, FL |

Since i moved in my apartment in November and its now march, i been having plumbing problems. The maintenance crew has came a few times and also real plumbers. I have videos and pictures of the incidents on my phone. The landlord told me we may have to move but i dont wanna move because my apartment includes lights and water and the other apartments do not. This is a ongoing problem. Is there any way that i can break my lease or move into another apartment and they pay my lights and water because this was the only reason I moved to this apartments.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    You have to send a written demand that the landlord make repairs per Statute giving the landlord 7 days to make the repairs. If the landlord fails to make the repairs after the 7 days are up, then you in in a strong position to break your lease. You should send the letter. See the statute below:

    83.56 Termination of rental agreement.—
    (1) If the landlord materially fails to comply with s. 83.51(1) or material provisions of the rental agreement within 7 days after delivery of written notice by the tenant specifying the noncompliance and indicating the intention of the tenant to terminate the rental agreement by reason thereof, the tenant may terminate the rental agreement. If the failure to comply with s. 83.51(1) or material provisions of the rental agreement is due to causes beyond the control of the landlord and the landlord has made and continues to make every reasonable effort to correct the failure to comply, the rental agreement may be terminated or altered by the parties, as follows:
    (a) If the landlord’s failure to comply renders the dwelling unit untenantable and the tenant vacates, the tenant shall not be liable for rent during the period the dwelling unit remains uninhabitable.
    (b) If the landlord’s failure to comply does not render the dwelling unit untenantable and the tenant remains in occupancy, the rent for the period of noncompliance shall be reduced by an amount in proportion to the loss of rental value caused by the noncompliance.

    Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship

  2. They may be breaking your lease by not providing water consistently. You need to have a landlord-tenant attorney review your lease and advise you on your options - you may have some decent options.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics