Can I break my lease by just vacating with no consequences?

Doral, FL |

We need to move to Chicago asap and need to save every penny. I remembered that we had a mediation proceeding saying if we couldn't make payments we could leave. But, we're caught up now and I don't know if that still takes into affect. Either way, if that weren't the case can I do this? Or are there other ways without having to pay much more?

It would depend on what your lease says. This site isn't set up for specific legal advice. Use the find a lawyer tool to have a local attorney review your lease.

The information provided is not legal advice and no attorney client relationship will arise based upon this information. If you decide to retain an attorney a separate discussion regarding your rights will have to occur. Do not rely on any of the information provided in deciding whether or not to act. David Fraser disclaims any liability for actions that are taken by individuals based upon the information provided. CONSULT AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR JURISDICTION BEFORE TAKING ANY LEGAL ACTION. Florida Bar Disclosure: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide on an attorney, ask him/her to send you free written information about his/her qualifications and experience.

You are bound by the lease and any consequences of a breach under the lease and your state's laws.

Bailing out on the lease may cost you thousands.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

The answer lies in what your lease says. I would have an attorney review it. If you are not able to get out of it without penalty, speak to the landlord and see what you can do. Perhaps you can show it or assign it so that the penalty is waived or removed.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant