Can I break a year's lease in a Wading River home?

Riverhead, NY |

My landlord lives in Manhattan; his over-seeier of the property is the Realtor & he scares me. I also fell down the basement steps due to the arthritis in my legs.

1. It depends on the language in and duration of the lease.

2. What you posted doesn't sound like legal reasons to break a lease. Consult a real estate lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. The lease controls absent the landlord's making the premises uninhabitable or some other serious anomaly, which does not seem to be the case. You might invest in a consultation with a real estate attorney to review the lease if you are that unhappy.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

4. As the others have said, I do not see a valid reason to break your leaser. Moreover, I am not sure why you mentioned the steps since you said it was your arthritis that caused you to fall. However, with a copy of the lease and a proper consultation, perhaps an attorney could help you find a way out of the lease.

On a personal note, what do you mean when you say the Realtor scares you? Has he said or done something to put you in fear for your safety? I am guessing not, because I hope nobody in their right mind would stay someplace where they were unsafe simply for fear of breaking a lease.

My answer is for general purposes only and is not not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, nor is it advice upon which you should act or rely. But, if you really want me to tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.

Landlord-tenant law topics