Can I break a rental lease due to noise? Building is an old school and is not properly insulated/sound proofed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

My fiance and I have 5 months remaining on the lease of a condo. When we moved in the owner promised that the unit is a quiet and peaceful place to live. This was important as my fiance is attending school for her undergrad degree and I am working on my MBA.

As it turns out, the unit is not quiet at all. We hear every foot step from our upstairs neighbors, often times as late as 11:30 pm or as early as 2:00 - 3:00 am. It is very disruptive. We had arranged a meeting with our condo owner and the neighbors, but they claim that they are "doing their best" to be quiet. The owner acknowledged that there are structural issues with the insulation, etc.

Do we have any right to break our lease in this situation (i.e. "Peaceful enjoyment" clause or promise that the unit was supposed to be quiet)

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ryan J. Weatherstone

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Breaking the lease due to noise is often times complicated and difficult, it really depends upon how one would interpret whether the noise is too much. But . . . I see that you live in the city of Seattle. Seattle is a very pro-tenant city and requires certain disclosures. Failure to provide those disclosures allows a tenant to terminate the lease without repercussion at the end of the next rental period. It may be advisable to hire a landlord tenant attorney to review your lease and your documents to determine whether or not you can legally break your lease early.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed to establish an attorney client... more
  2. Jeffery Scott Whalley


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It is in your best interest to have an attorney look at your lease agreement to identify your options.

    Legal disclaimer: The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,343 answers this week

3,010 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,343 answers this week

3,010 attorneys answering