Can I break a lease if I lost my job? I am signing up for unemployment.

Medford, NY |

Unemployment is not going to be enough to pay rent and utilities. My boyfriend can move in and pay my rent, landlord said no. I found a kitten and I am keeping her. Landlord said no. What are my options? I cant afford the rent.

You do not have a right to break a lease unless there are specific provisions in the lease that allow you to do so. If the landlord is not willing to let you out there is not much you can do about it. It is a contract and you have agreed to pay the monthly rent. If you do no pay you can be evicted. I suggest you try and negotiate with the landlord to be let out of the lease and do the best you can to pay in the interim.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Unfortunately you don't have the right to break the lease.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="">Please visit us on the web.</a>

Dear what are my options?

New York State law allows you (if you have a lease, even if the lease says you cannot or the landlord says no) to have one roommate. That means your boyfriend can move in and can help you with the rent. He cannot pay the landlord. If he is willing to pay you so you can pay the landlord you are allowed to do so. That means you will afford the rent with your boyfriend's help.

The law that provides the right to a roommate is found in New York State Real Property Law section 235 - f, known as "Unlawful restrictions on occupancy"

"***2. It shall be unlawful for a landlord to restrict occupancy of residential premises, by express lease terms or otherwise, to a tenant or tenants or to such tenants and immediate
family. Any such restriction in a lease or rental agreement entered into or renewed before or after the effective date of this section shall be unenforceable as against public policy.
3. Any lease or rental agreement for residential premises entered into by one tenant shall be construed to permit occupancy by the tenant, immediate family of the tenant, one additional occupant, and dependent children of the occupant provided that the tenant or the tenant's spouse occupies the premises as his primary residence.***"

The cat is not as fortunate. New York (except in localities like NYC with its own Pet Law) does not provide such safe harbor for a found kitten.

If your lease does not allow pets, then your landlord might invoke the lease prohibition and demand you correct the violation of the lease. if you do not do so, then the landlord would be able to start a court proceeding to evict you for a breach of the lease (harboring an animal without the landlord's permission.)

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant