Can I break a lease due to neighbors dogs attacking us? Can she enter my house 2Xday without proper notice--and late at night?

Bloomfield, NJ |

I have a one year lease that is until March 30, 2014. I moved in at the end of March 2013. The landlord/owner of the house did not tell me that her neighbor had two rescue bit pulls (one that was in an actual ring). She rented the house to me with my poodle and inside/outside cat. One of the verbal agreements we had was that she would repair fencing where wood had deteriorated and replace one section so that my pets would not be able to get outside the yard. We were in the back yard and were attacked on 5/13/13. My dog had to receive 6 staples and now has to undergo surgery. Myself and my friend were also attacked. I had minor bite wounds, but am terrified. I can't stay there any longer and gave her written notice. She is saying that I breaking the lease-I think she may be atty.

Hire a personal injury lawyer for your dog bite and your dog's medical bills. Ask your termination of lease issues. I am NOT a NJ lawyer, but it seems to me you have grounds to immediately terminate the lease. Hope these things were reported to the police and animal control...

Retain a dog bite lawyer to pursue a claim for your injuries.

As Mr. Fenster stated, I too am not a NJ attorney. I am not a real estate attorney , either. However, a failure to disclose a material fact may be sufficient to void the lease. But you need to see a land lord tenant attorney.
In the interim, get a TRO as to the neighbor re the dogs. Maybe the LL will help, especially if you stay.
I think you have options and should rationally explore them, though quickly.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

The issue about whether a tenant has justifiable grounds to terminate a lease prematurely is fact-sensitive and evaluated by the court based on a set of factors. A summary of landlord-tenant law, including the set of those factors, is available through Legal Services of New Jersey at:
http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Housing/Landlord-Tenant/Leases/Pages/Ending-Leases.aspx#.Ugp55JK1Fic

This material is for informational purposes only. None of the information contained herein should be construed as legal advice or as creating an attorney-client relationship. You should not act or rely upon this information without seeking formal professional counsel who is aware of the specific facts involved in your case.