Skip to main content

Can i being a united states citizen help my boyfriend get out of iimirgration hold with the help of a lawyer

Nyack, NY |

he was arrested for domestic violence and then all charges were reduce to disorderly conduct and the offer was 15 days in jail but I.C.E has a hold on him this is his first time in trouble he has been here for 11yrs and he came here illegal he supports me and my children we have plans to get married what are his chances that a immigration lawyer can get him out?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Contact the immigration lawyer to discuss his chances. He can apply for bond while his immigration case is pending. The ilegal entry will pose a challenge on his ability to re tify his immigration status in the USA


  2. I agree taht he needs to contact an experienced immigration attorney who can examine the complete criminal adjudication and provide a legal opinion as to its effect on his ability to obtain immigration. The fact an alien in custody has a US Citizen girlfriend has no infludence on his ability to obatin immigration relief. If he has not taken the criminal plea, it would be advisable that the immigration attorney review the plea offer for potentail consequences to his immigration options. It is impossible to provide odds or chances of success when examining AVVO postings.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  3. You need to consult with a qualified immigration attorney. There are many issues in the scenario you presented.

  4. Putting aside the criminal issues, your boyfriend is subject to
    deportation because he is in the country unlawfully. It appears from
    these circumstances that he is eligible for release on bond. However,
    whether he will be granted bond will depend upon a number of different
    factors. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney
    who can review the specific facts of the case and advise you as to the
    likelihood of bond being granted and assist you in determining possible
    relief from deportation.

    While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.

  5. Marriage while he is in proceedings has a higher level of scrutiny. Also, depending on how he entered the US, any other immigration violations and arrests, charges or convictions, may make him ineligible for PR or adjustment of status.

    713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full details of the case.

  6. He should consult with an attorney who handles removal defense. He might qualify for cancellation of Removal or other releif as well as for an immigration bond. If so, he might be able to apply for work authorization, social secuity and a driver's license 9=(depending on state law where you live). A deportation lawyer will need to review his immigration, family and criminal history to accurately advise him.

  7. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

    Our firm has many years of experience in this field.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply but you can contact me as indicated below.

    Complimentary phone consultations
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics