Can I become an engineer or accountant with a harassment charge (pushing and shoving) that got a deferred disposition?

Asked 9 months ago - Parlin, NJ

I was 16 and in the wrong company. The judge saw my grades and granted a deferred disposition. The waiting period was one year and unsupervised probation. My lawyer told me only government agencies and law enforcement have access to the record. Public and private background agencies don't. I wanted to know before I go to college whether I will be able to get a job as an engineer or accountant?

1. James H Maynard

6

1

Answered . Your attorney was correct. However, you may want to consider getting an expungement. Consult an attorney to determine whether you are eligible.

2. James Alexander Abate

Pro

5

1

Answered . I don't believe it will be a problem. Run a back ground check on yourself to see if there is anything you need to explain.

3. Jonathan F Marshall

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is absolutely no issue in your obtain these jobs or any certifications associated therewith. The effect of the deferred disposition was to dismiss the charge altogether provided you successfully completed the deferral period. Beyond this fact, the juvenile proceedings were sealed so there is no background check that would reveal that this happened. I hope this gives you some peace of mind.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

1

Answered . Juvenile records are sealed and will not be a problem. Good luck.

5. Michael A. Berman

3

Answered . You are fine. Worry about something else.

Mike

6. Mark M Cheser

Pro

3

Answered . It should not be a problem.