Skip to main content

Can I become an employee of non-e-verified company if H-1B visa is filed but I am working on OPT extension?

Irvine, CA |

I am working for an e-verified company. My current OPT expires in May 2013. My extended OPT expires in October 2014. I have got a job offer from a non-verified company. They have filed my H1-B visa. Assuming, H1-B visa is approved, can I join the non-e-verified company now or I have to wait till 1st October 2013?

Attorney Answers 3


If the OPT will be extended you continue to work for e-verified company until the H-1B approval start date with your new employer.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


E verified is not required for H1B

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You cannot assume that the H-1b will be approved. In fact, you cannot even assume that it will be processed given the fact that a lottery is highly likely this year.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics