Can I become a U.S citizen if I apply for the deffered action?

Im 17 years old and want to go to college, but I cant work in the u.s I've been here almost all my life and came here when I was 3 years old. I want to know if I should go to college if I am not even legal in this country

San Antonio, TX -

Thomas Esparza Jr.

Thomas Esparza Jr.

Immigration Attorney - Austin, TX

go to college. someday the Congress will get it all together and give you a path to citizenship

Philip Alan Eichorn

Philip Alan Eichorn

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

Actually a DACA filing for you is critical as it will toll the accrual of unlawful presence. This will allow you to complete college, depart and reenter with an H or an L (based on the current laws) and then get an employment based green card. Or if you get married, the lack of accrual of unlawful presence will allow you to depart and return with a green card based on the marriage. Get it filed ASAP.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

To become a US citizen, you must first be a legal permanent resident. DACA does not provide a path to legal permanent residency.

Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was announced June 15, 2012 and allows certain people who entered the U.S. before their 16th birthday to apply for a 2-year reprieve from deportation. It is not status or permanent residence but allows you to apply for Employment Authorization if you meet economic necessity. Be advised you should consult a competent immigration attorney before deciding to apply for DACA or any other immigration relief. Visit the uscis.gov website specifically, uscis.gov/childhoodarrivals for more information about DACA .

Related Advice