Can I become a U.S citizen if I apply for the deffered action?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

Im 17 years old and want to go to college, but I cant work in the u.s I've been here almost all my life and came here when I was 3 years old. I want to know if I should go to college if I am not even legal in this country

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Thomas Esparza Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . go to college. someday the Congress will get it all together and give you a path to citizenship

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Actually a DACA filing for you is critical as it will toll the accrual of unlawful presence. This will allow you to complete college, depart and reenter with an H or an L (based on the current laws) and then get an employment based green card. Or if you get married, the lack of accrual of unlawful presence will allow you to depart and return with a green card based on the marriage. Get it filed ASAP.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . To become a US citizen, you must first be a legal permanent resident. DACA does not provide a path to legal permanent residency.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was announced June 15, 2012 and allows certain people who entered the U.S. before their 16th birthday to apply for a 2-year reprieve from deportation. It is not status or permanent residence but allows you to apply for Employment Authorization if you meet economic necessity. Be advised you should consult a competent immigration attorney before deciding to apply for DACA or any other immigration relief. Visit the website specifically, for more information about DACA .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,084 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,084 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering