Can I become a prosecutor with larceny felonies? And what steps can I take to get there?

Roanoke, VA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

All larceny based charges. Served jail time did community service paid restitution and fines.

1. It's doubtful you would be hired. You would have to go through the interview process and ultimately there will be a decision made by the Commonwealth Attorney's office. Since every Commonwealth Attorney is elected to their position, and everyone of them run on a platform of "tough on crime", I can't see how they would have a hiring policy that included hiring convicted felons.

That doesn't mean you won't pass the Bar exam and get licensed to practice; and there are hundreds of areas of law in which you may be better suited other than prosecuting criminal cases.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. With felony convictions, you may have a difficult time being allowed to sit for the bar examination in Virginia. It is likely that the state bar will ask you a lot of questions about your past convictions and they ultimately make the determination regarding character and fitness to sit for the bar and be a licensed attorney. If you have gotten over that hurdle, employment options may be affected by the felony conviction. As a defense lawyer, however, it may make you more "real" to clients who are also dealing with those issues in their own lives.