Can I become a lawyer if I completed sis probation for a class c felony ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Peters, MO

I plead guilty at 17 for car hopping and received sis probation for 5 years on a class c felony. I completed the probation and have been in no trouble sense. I have a 4 year old daughter now and am attending college. Is this mistake I made in my past going to stop me from becoming a lawyer ?

1. Matthew David Fry

1

Answered . I will answer this question based on knowing two very good lawyers in Missouri who have "criminal records." Bot are great success stories. One received an SIS on a Class B Felony. The other actually completed a Missouri Department of Corrections sentence on a Class A Felony. Both were admitted to law school and accepted into the Missouri bar after receiving their "criminal records." Do not let your past deter you. Just make sure it never happens again, and work hard for your future. Good luck!

2. Andrea R. Rogers

1

Answered . I agree with the other 2 lawyers: don't lie about it, and make sure you contact the Missouri Bar Association and talk to the ethics counsel (the attorney who answers lawyers' questions about ethical dilemmas) before you apply to any law schools.

3. Josh P Tolin

1

Answered . As long as you are completely honest on your bar application, you should be alright. If you lie or conceal it, it will be found when they do a fingerprint analysis for admission. During law school, two people were not permitted to sit for the Bar for not being truthful.

4. Melvin G. Franke

Answered . It deppends upon the Supreme Court

5. Anthony Joseph Muhlenkamp

Answered . You should be fine. However, you are going to get a lot of extra scrutiny for the background/ethics check. You are going to fill out a lot of paperwork on that issue also. Just a suggestion, obtain copies of your plea/sentencing paperwork and the police report if you still can. The courthouse should still have your court papers. Your attorney "hopefully" still has a copy of the police report, or you coudl go to the police department and request it. You are definitely going to need those so just keep them in a safe place. Make sure you don't lie about anything and just be up front about it. Prior to taking the LSAT, applying to law school, etc. (because all of that really starts to cost a lot of money) I would make an appointment with your local law school's career services department and see if they would talk to you. I assume they would since your questions seems sincere and you are a potential future student and tuition for them. They could hopefully show you some data on how many people that has affected to give you a better idea.

6. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

Answered . The bar association of every state does an ethics review of your history before you become a member. The important thing to remember is to answer all questions about your past fully and truthfully. I doubt a juvenile record would prevent your entry but trying to cover it up would. You may want to talk to a MO bar ethics attorney before investing a lot of time and money in a legal education.