Can I become a Florida resident and still maintain my Canadian benefits. I am a U S citizen and Permanent Resident statis in Ca

Jensen Beach, FL |

My husband is Canadian. We are Snowbirds. I am formerly from WI. I have fl drivers license, auto plus insurance,banks, American credit cards, property taxes on owned mobile home plus utilities and maintenance fees. Attend a local religious organization. In Ca we have a home plus car,etc. I would like to establish fl domicile and homestead my property if possible without loosing any Canadian benefits. Thank you

This really isn't a US Immigration law question ... which is the focus of this blog.

Go to and search for a lawyer licensed in Canada.

Most likely he/she will recommend that you become a Canadian Citizen ... and that your husband become a US Citizen.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

You will become a Florida resident once you have lived in that state for a year or longer. AS to canadian benefits, it is between you and Canada.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Attorneys on Avvo practice US law. They cannot advise you on the laws and requirements of other countries.

You need to contact an attorney in the country in question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law