Mojave, CA |

I was wondering if age is a constraint for any airlines especially in usa for cabin crew jobs? I am 41 and am a graduate with very fluent english and can speak spanish too. I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some guidance in this issue.

Thank you

It is unlawful for employers to deny employment to an applicant because they are over the age of 40, unless age is a bona fide qualification of the the job. For example, there are age limits for commercial airline pilots. But 41 is young. I cannot conceive of any legitimate basis to deny an applicant who is 41, for that reason alone. Nor can you be asked your age.

However, most fight attendants are unionized and the most difficult impediment you may face is obtaining a union job. You won't know until you try. Good luck.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

Not likely, as it would be unlawful to discriminate against you based on your current age. Given that you are only 41, I would highly doubt any exception to anti-discrimination laws would apply.

Any post of discussion above is general in nature and is not intended to and should not be construed as legal advice. Furthermore, the above posting does not create or establish any attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. [John D. Wu is licensed to practice law before all California federal and state courts]

If you are otherwise qualified, your age should not prevent you from getting a flight attendant job. You should consider contacting the Association of Flight Attendants - CWA for more information about requirements and qualifications for this work. Good luck.

I enjoy answering questions on Avvo to try to help get you pointed in the right direction. But, I am not your attorney. Beware, my answers here are general, limited, incomplete, and can never be as complete, thorough, or accurate as one I would give to a client after hearing all of the facts and details of my client's situation and applying the correct law. Also, I am admitted to practice law only in California and all of my answers are intended exclusively for the Golden State.

Recommended articles about Employment