Can i beat this charge of theft by taking?

Morrow, GA |

I attend college. Our first day every freshman recieved the same bookbag. The other day picked up the wrong bookbag thinking that it was mine. Later the police said I stole it on purpose and gave me a citation. Then a day later they came back with a citation. It was a big misunderstanding by picking up the wrong bag but now I have to go to court. Also I was supposed to recieve a court appointed attorney but he/she still hasnt contacted me.

There is a chance that you can beat it. If the Judge believes that this is what actually occurred, you will win. However, I believe that the state of Georgia will take a different position as to why they believe you purposefully took it. Until you receive the police reports and further information regarding what they accuse occurred, you will not know. It is best to avoid discussing the situation with anyone but your attorney. If you do not hear from him soon, call the court to determine who was appointed.

i meant the second time they came back they had a warrant for my arrest

It sounds as if you have a viable defense. To ensure success, you really should find a lawyer for help, whether a private attorney or public defender. | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.