Can I beat a failure to yield for a school bus ticket?

Lawrenceville, GA |

Two weeks ago I was pulled over for "failure to yield to a school bus" in GA. It was a four lane highway, with a yellow lined median separating the four lanes into two lanes either side. I wasn't sure if I had to stop at first because it was such a big highway and there was a median. I stopped however because I figured it was better safe than sorry. I waited a good bit then a big truck passed me and I moved after he passed for two reasons- one, I didn't want to get hit by a car and two, I thought maybe it was OK to go. Two cops pulled the truck and me over. The bus moved a couple of seconds after I moved so essentially I was stopped almost the entire time. The cop even stated "you almost had it". How much are these tickets? Is there any chance I can beat this?

This is a serious moving violation and can affect your insurance and driving privilege. You should consider getting an attorney in Georgia who can help keep your insurance low and your driving record clean.

This answer is given merely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice, contact an attorney in your state to see if working together makes sense.

Failure to yield to a school bus is one of those charges that rarely is plead down or dropped. If there isn't a raised median, you are required to stop until the bus pulls back their stop sign.

You should contact a local attorney who handles traffic violations.

This information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls and emails. Contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Passing a school bus results in 6 points on your driving history. There aren't many other offenses with that many points. You could suffer a license suspension, depending on your points status. If you don't need to drive, and it doesn't matter to you if your license is suspended, then go ahead and handle this on your own. Otherwise, you would be spending your money wisely on an attorney who is very familiar with that court.

I am an attorney. I am not your attorney unless you have signed a written contract with me and given me money. This is information for educational purposes only, and no attorney-client privilege exists.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets