Can I beat a failure to yield for a school bus ticket?

Asked about 3 years ago - Lawrenceville, GA

Two weeks ago I was pulled over for "failure to yield to a school bus" in GA. It was a four lane highway, with a yellow lined median separating the four lanes into two lanes either side. I wasn't sure if I had to stop at first because it was such a big highway and there was a median. I stopped however because I figured it was better safe than sorry. I waited a good bit then a big truck passed me and I moved after he passed for two reasons- one, I didn't want to get hit by a car and two, I thought maybe it was OK to go. Two cops pulled the truck and me over. The bus moved a couple of seconds after I moved so essentially I was stopped almost the entire time. The cop even stated "you almost had it". How much are these tickets? Is there any chance I can beat this?

1. Jennifer Nichole Johnson

2

Answered . Failure to yield to a school bus is one of those charges that rarely is plead down or dropped. If there isn't a raised median, you are required to stop until the bus pulls back their stop sign.

You should contact a local attorney who handles traffic violations.

2. Jessica Ruth Towne

Pro

2

Answered . Passing a school bus results in 6 points on your driving history. There aren't many other offenses with that many points. You could suffer a license suspension, depending on your points status. If you don't need to drive, and it doesn't matter to you if your license is suspended, then go ahead and handle this on your own. Otherwise, you would be spending your money wisely on an attorney who is very familiar with that court.

3. Jon Michael Zimmerman

1

Answered . This is a serious moving violation and can affect your insurance and driving privilege. You should consider getting an attorney in Georgia who can help keep your insurance low and your driving record clean.