Can I be the pers rep for both my sister and her husband who are Florida residents if I live in Ohio? Or only for my sister?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

My sister and brother-in-law would both like to name me as their Personal Representative in their will but I read the qualifications of who may be named and since I am not a FL resident there are special rules. I believe I have to be a blood relative if I understand it. If that's true, then I would qualify to be my sister's PR but would not qualify to be my brother-in-law's PR. I am looking for confirmation of that or a better understanding. Thank you.

1. Carol Anne Johnson

2

1

Answered . The will determines who will be the personal representative, if it so nominates. The courts prefer to act upon the wishes of the deceased, where possible. The caveat is that the law reads that while the will nomination takes precedence, the judge then secondarily looks to see if the personal representative is "legally qualified". As you have noticed, the qualifications can be very specific. As a non-resident, you must have a familial relationship with the deceased. So, you could act as PR for your sister, but not her husband.

2. Dana Laganella Gerling

Pro

2

1

Answered . Typically an in law who is located outside of the State of Florida would not be qualified to serve, since there is no blood relation. There are several cases in Florida distinguishing this type of relationship, but I would agree that you would not qualify to serve as your brother-in-law's PR.

3. Richard Allan Heller

2

1

Answered . Your reading of the statute is the same as mine for a nonresident brother-in-law.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . I disagree -a non-resident spouse of a relative can serve as personal representative under Florida Statute 733-304(4)

5. James P. Frederick

1

1

Answered . This appears to be a duplicate of your other question. You got some excellent answers, the last time around. You should have your sister and brother-in-law visit an estate planning attorney and ask about establishing a trust. This will avoid probate and will allow you to act as Successor Trustee, in spite of being out of state.

James Frederick