Can I be terminated due to something on my background check from 13 yrs. ago? I was never charged with but remains on record

Asked about 1 year ago - Massillon, OH

I have been at my job for approximately 10 months, I have just recently been suspended with pay pending investigation on "a hit" that came back on my background check. This was from 13 yrs. ago and was dismissed without prejudice.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jennifer Ann Corso

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It also depends on what question was asked on the application. Employers are only allowed to ask about convictions, but can do so for any type of criminal conviction (misdemeanor and felony) with no time limit. So if you were not convicted you shouldn't have had to reveal the fact that you were charged. If the employer asked about arrests and you didn't reveal it, this is trickier, because they shouldn't have answered the question in the first place. If that's the case, you should contact the EEOC or seek an attorney if you are terminated.

    The information is not, nor is it intended to be, specific legal advice. You should consult an attorney for... more
  2. Donald Michael Gallick


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You can be fired for not disclosing an arrest that is still on your record. It would be a better investment of your time and money to hire an attorney to see if you can seal (expunge) this from your record. Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to investigate your criminal history and see what is eligible for expungement/sealing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,577 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,577 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering