Can I be sued twice?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

Almost 7 yrs ago I had a credit card with a limit of $1,000 I believe. In 2009 there was a civil judgement against me for over $5,000. This remains on my credit report as judgement against me. Today I received a letter from another attorney suing for almost $8,000 for the same debt. Can any of this be legal?! Please help. Thanks.

1. Alfred M. Abel

Pro

5

Answered . You cannot be sued twice for the same debt. From the limited facts you sent, it looks like the judgment was obtained a long time ago, and they are trying to collect it now. Lawsuits do not start with a letter, they .start with a summons or complaint. Contact a local attorney to help.

Please mark this as a best answer and give a review on AVVO if you found this answer helpful.

2. Noah Paul Fardo

Pro

4

Answered . NO! This does not seem legal. If you already have a judgment against you, you should NOT be sued separately for the same debt. If they try, you may have legal recourse for violations of the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act). I would be happy to review the letter and advise you of your legal rights.

thanks
    Noah Paul Fardo, Esq.
    412.802.6666

3. Gregory Thomas Artim

3

Answered . You absolutely cannot be sued twice for the same debt, not if they obtained a judgment the first time. This is a blatant violation of the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act). A violation of that act allows you to pursue a claim against the debt collector and the great thing about that law is that it allows you to obtain free legal representation. The FDCPA provides that the debt collector must pay your legal fees. Feel free to contact my office for a free consultation and hopefully, free representation.