Can I be sued if my dog bites someone

Palm Springs, CA |

My dog bite a person walking by our house

1. Yes, absolutely. And, you are strictly liable meaning that in order to collect damages they do not even have to prove you were negligent. Dog bite cases can result in substantial damages, even for what appear to be minor injuries. You should report the matter to your insurance company.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Dog owners can be liable for dog bites even if there is no history of dog bites. California Civil Code Section 3342 and 3342.5 are a couple code sections you may want to consider. Some people are shocked to find out they don't have the appropriate insurance coverage. You really need to consult with a defense attorney, especially if your insurance carrier hasn't covered you for dog bites. Check with you carrier.

www.JoeTorriLaw.com

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

3. Yes -- you can be sued. Report the bite to either your homeowner's insurance carrier or your renter's insurance carrier.

Good luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

4. The three answers from the other attorney's were excellent and I have little to add. Yes, you can be sued, and there is strict liability. If you have home owners or renters insurance, contact them immediately to see if they will cover this. GOOD LUCK.

Adam Sorrells
    Injury Lawyer in Chico

The above was not legal advice and cannot be relied on. For informational purposes only. Some of the time periods in which you are legal required to act can be incredibly short, some as short as 6 months. Time is of the essence, do not delay seeking legal advice and pursuing your legal rights. No attorney/client relationship formed.

5. Yes. Report this immediately to your homeowner's insurance agent if you own a home and are insured for liability which is most often the case. If you live in an apartment and you have renter's insurance coverage you must report the incident. If you have no insurance coverage then you need legal advise. Don't talk to any investigator other than from your insurance company. Have you been contacted by the Palm Springs PD or Animal Control?

Animal law topics