Can i be sued from a accident while im on bankruptcy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Montgomery, AL

I was in a accident with a motorcyle and the accident report was all wrong. But it was my moms car and the issurance was two weeks past due. So now the person is trying to sue me. I dont make much money and paying my bankruptcy fees. Can i still be sued?

1. Randy William Ferguson

2

Answered . You should talk to your bankruptcy attorney about adding it to your bankruptcy. They would be the best person to tell you if you can be sued. You might need to get an attorney to talk to you about the accident.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

3

Answered . A bankruptcy automatic stay, and then discharge injunction, can protect you from collection activity arising from any obligation incurred prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition. Debts accruing after that date, as a general rule, are collectible as if the bankruptcy did not exist.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Gary D. Bollinger

Pro

3

Answered . You wrote, "Can i be sued from a accident while im on bankruptcy?"

A: Yes

Whether the (potential) liability is subject to a discharge in bankruptcy will depend on:

1. Whether the potential liability occurred prior to the filing of the bankruptcy, and
    2. If the potential liability was incurred prior to filing the bankruptcy, if it is subject to an exception to discharge under bankruptcy

4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . It depends if you were discharged. You should speak with your attorney.