Skip to main content

Can I be sued for this?

Chicago, IL |

Two days ago, my grandmother was served papers suing me for $5,100.00 for an accident that occurred last year. The accident occurred while I was stopped at an off ramp. Another car had struck the car I was driving and pushed me into the plaintiff. Now, the plaintiff, and state farm are suing me, and the lady caused car that caused the accident. My car had been totaled by the lady and her insurance paid for me to get a new one, she also accepted full responsibility. Do I need a lawyer?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Contact your insurer at the time, immediately. They will provide you with a lawyer and defend you from the allegations in the Complaint.

    Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200

  2. You have been sued and it is imperative that you contact your insurance carrier. The carrier will provide you with an attorney. If you did not have coverage, yes, you need to contact an attorney.

  3. Listen to attorney Coluccio

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  4. Yes. You are sued because the other party believes you may be partly at fault. Failing to due you could result in losing the case, so it's likely just a precaution.

    Report this and forward papers to your insurer ASAP and they'll defend you and hire a lawyer. It's part of why you have insurance.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  5. Simply turn the papers over to your insurance company to defend.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics