Can I be sued for someone elses payday loan?

Asked 10 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

Got a call from someone in Indiana saying that someone took out a payday loan and listed me as a reference, They said that I owed them in the range of $700 and they were letting me know that I could talk to an arbitrator right then and there to negotiate a settlement, or being put on notice that 2 charges were going to be filed against me in court. They wouldn't give me any details over the phone besides that because "attorney's will hold that to the last minute to get the most they can."

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Richard Edmund Hawkins


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If I hadn't seen such nonsense, I'd think you were making this up. But I have.

    It's possible that there isn't even a loan.

    No, you are not liable on a loan for being a reference. This is a scam.

  2. Keren E. Gesund


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not unless your spouse is the one that owes the debt or you guaranteed the loan. A reference is not a guarantor. Did you get the name of the collector, the debt collection company and phone number? If it's not a scam, the debt collector is in violation of the FDCPA. They can't misrepresent they'll sue you when they aren't able to. You should contact a local FDCPA attorney to file suit on your behalf. It should be free because the debt collector is required to pay the successful plaintiff's attorneys' fees and costs.

    I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need further information, you can contact me directly at

    Good Luck!


  3. Sheri L Nevlin


    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is certainly a scam unless this was a spouse or you co-signed. I highly recommend that you contact your local consumer affairs or Attorney General's office. In my state which is Washington, our Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection and possibly the Department of Financial Institutions will take your information. They keep tabs on these issues fairly closely. For private representation you should contact an attorney.

  4. Christopher Daniel Leroi


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,997 answers this week

2,985 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,997 answers this week

2,985 attorneys answering