Can I be sued for slander for true statements?

Asked about 1 year ago - Stanhope, NJ

An individual I know has threatened to sue me for slander if I say anything to ANY people in our chosen career field about misdeeds she has done to me and her own work ethic (ie whether or not she is to be trusted with a project). I do not endorse her and I actively recommend people do not work with her based on my observations during the past few years, not just the horrible personal thing she's just recently done to me. Can she sue me successfully for truthfully telling people verbally A) What she did to me (most of these people are my friends and ask about my personal life!) and B) that I do not recommend working with her because of observations I've made?

Sorry for it being so vague. Looking for answers, do not want to walk on eggshells.

Pro

4

1

Answered . Truth is a complete defense to defamation

2. Gregory S. Shields

3

1

Answered . The short answer is, "no." Truth is an affirmative defense to a claim of defamation. The longer answer is that whether or not your statements were truthful will be a determination for a judge or jury. Litigation in defamation claims can also be VERY expensive and drag on for YEARS. Keep this in mind when making statements about someone who has threatened litigation. Good luck!

3. Allan E Richardson

3

1

Answered . Truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim (regardless whether it Is called libel or slander). As my colleague points out, though, truth is determined not by you but by a jury or, in the case of a bench trial, a judge. Unless you have a burning desire to spend a lot of money on an attorney, which is a noble thought, remember that discretion is the better part of valor.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes, of course you can be sued for true statements. . Anyone can be sued for anything.

The real question is whether you can be SUCCESSFULLY sued -- and that depends on the quality of your proof. For sure you can be forced to defend against an expensive and long-lasting legal action. And an important point: "truth" in legal contexts is relative. Something isn't "true" just because you believe it.