Can I be sued for slander for simply saying "don't work for this company"

Elko, NV |

A local business here is a total scummy place to work, the owner is a criminal. A facebook page had a listing for a job they are hiring for and I wrote "don't work for this company" on the comments section, not why or anything nasty about the company. The owner then called me at home and cussed me out, called me names, threaten to "ruin" my life and sue me for slander. -_- This guy for real?

1. Truth is the only defense to defamation. As long as you're telling the truth you should be fine.
    However, your statement "don't work for this company" will probably not be enough for a lawsuit.

The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

2. Defamation (which includes slander and libel) claims require a false statement of fact that causes harm. So, for example, saying the owner is a criminal when they are not could be defamatory. However, stating "don't work here" is an opinion that should steer you out of a defamation suit.

3. Without any additional statement of fact, what you wrote would more than likely be considered "opinon" and would not be actionable as a defamatory statement.

4. There are a number of defenses to defamation claims which are comprised of libel (written word) and slander (spoken word). Such defenses include truth, conditional privilege, immunity, opinion, and hyperbole. Your statement may very well be covered by one or more of these defenses. The vast majority of threatened defamation claims are never pursued, given the cost of filing a lawsuit, and the concern with calling more attention to the defamatory statement by initiating a public legal proceeding. If you are contacted again, consider engaging counsel. However, I suspect that the business owner was venting instead of making a formal threat of litigation.

Disclaimer: The foregoing does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney/client relationship. Please contact an attorney for formal legal advice on any specific matter.