Can I be sued for posting a comment on a lawyer review website?

Posted a review of an attorney that I was unhappy with on the Avvo lawyer review website. That attorney then contacted a mutual friend and told him that If I don't remove my comments they will subpoena the website for proof that I wrote it and sue me for defamation of character

East Northport, NY -

Max L Rosenberg

Max L Rosenberg

Personal Injury Lawyer - Stratford, CT

I am an attorney licensed in New York and Connecticut. When dealing with defamation you should remember that truth is an absolute defense. IF you can prove your statements you will win. However, you can be sued for almost anything, even if it is groundless. Goodluck

James David Pacitti

James David Pacitti

Personal Injury Lawyer - Van Nuys, CA

First, anyone can sue anyone for anything even if it does not have merit. However, if the thrust of your question is whether you would be liable, it depends on what you posted. Defamation is a false statement of fact that is published to third parties which effects the reputation of another. So it does not apply to strictly opinions and truth is an absolute defense to a claim of defamation. If what you posted was true or an expression of your opinion, you would not likely be held liable. But, as I wrote, that does not stop someone from suing you. They just will not likely prevail (but you would still have to defend the suit or risk a default judgment being entered against you).

Brook D Wood

Brook D Wood

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Portland, OR

Without knowing, at a minimum, what the comments were and whether or not they are true, it is impossible to answer your question for you.

Related Advice