Can I be sued for libel if I can prove what I am saying?

I was the victim of severe, pervasive sexual harassment at my former job. I documented many instances of this harassment using my cell phones video recording feature. Furthermore, I have pages of documents policies of my former company. Now I am coming forward on my blog, with the hidden camera videos I have shot. Everything I say on my job is true -- and provable -- and I only stick with facts, and not opinion. For example "I encountered multiple instances of harassment", instead of "The company didnt take my claims seriously" -- which is speculation and unprovable. I am not doing this out of malice, but to encourage others to take action if they feel they are harassed. Someone warned me that I could be sued ( they haven't read the blog). But sticking with facts is the safe way, no?

New Orleans, LA -

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Hillsdale, MI

Of course you can be sued. But, you have the defense of truth. Assuming you can afford the legal fees, there should be a strong case for you to win. You could, instead, report the matter to the appropriate government agencies or hire an attorney and sue the employer.

Shelley A Goff

Shelley A Goff

Criminal Defense Attorney - Ruston, LA

Yes you can be sued. The real question is whether you will lose the case. In addition, libel is not the only reason the employer might want to sue you. You say you have documents from the company and videos. They may claim a right to the documents you have, or claim you are violating some agreement they had with you as an employee. I see your situation as fraught with danger. You really should seek legal counsel.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Lakeway, TX

In most states, truth is a complete defense to a claim of defamation. Of course that doesn't prevent them from suing you and forcing you to pay for an attorney to defend you, unfortunately.

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Health Care Lawyer - Corrales, NM

One thing you should be aware of, many states have laws against taping others without their knowledge, which may limit their admissibility in the event of legal action. See a local attorney and ask if this would present a problem.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

The fact that you can prove what you are saying is not a bar to you being sued. It is a defense if you are sued.