Can I be sued for a repossessed vehicle residual fee from 4 years ago, I assumed was included in a bankruptcy by my ex-husband?

Atlanta, GA |

I was served a summons by the Magistrate Court of Fulton County yesterday regarding a new 2006 Ford Five Hundred vehicle that I assumed was included in a bankruptcy by my ex-husband (buyer). My husband and I separated in 2008 and eventually divorced in 2009, I continued to make payments until 2010 but I could no longer make payments because it was somehow tied up in my husband's bankruptcy proceedings. The only time I heard from the lender was fall of 2013 stating that I (co-buyer) still owed 2,500+ dollars, the amount left over from the auction sale of the car. I informed the lender at that time I assumed it was included in my ex-husband's bankruptcy and to contact the buyer, my ex-husband. My ex states today, he has NEVER been contacted by the lender regarding this matter. HELP!

Yep, you owe it (if you were on the loan). His bankruptcy does not help you. And if he filed bankruptcy, they cannot contact him. You need to see a lawyer as in yesterday. You are probnably going to lose the case and then be hit by garnishment, so you may need to look at bankruptcy. You may, depending on your divorce papers, have a potential contempt case against your ex, but that doesn't help you with the suit. Your lawyer in the divorce certainly warned you about the consequences if he didn't pay the car, so none of this should be a surprise.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman)

John Taylor Hopkins IV

John Taylor Hopkins IV

At least consult with a lawyer as there may be some defense, perhaps a statute of limitations defense depending on when the last payment you made was. Depending on what the divorce order states, you may have a claim against your ex.

Unfortunately, if you signed the sales contract as co-buyer, and you did not file bankruptcy, you are fully obligated for the residual (after-the-auction) deficiency. If they win they will likely garnish any money you have in your bank account, and/or garnish your paycheck up to 25% each pay period. The fact that your ex filed bankruptcy means that he is now free from the debt, but you are still obligated. I do not know your overall situation, but If you have a lot of other debt, you may wish to consider bankruptcy as well, which would get rid of this debt. Good luck.

If you found my answer useful, please check it as "helpful" here on Avvo. Answers to questions on Avvo are for general informational purposes only. Proper preparation of a bankruptcy case involves many factors and variables, and may lead to a different answer than that given here when all the facts are taken into consideration. The fact that a general question was answered on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship; that only happens when both you and our firm sign a formal contract and a retainer is paid and collected.

You may have valid defenses to this auto deficiency case. You need to consult with an experienced debt-defense attorney. You face your first court deadline thirty days from from when you were served with the court papers. Accordingly, you should act promptly.

The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship.