Can I be sued by a stranger from a different state (Florida) after refusing to pay $160 to the company for a $1,500 gift card?

Fort Worth, TX |

I was informed that I had won a free $1,500 gift card and a free phone by a woman who called me from a 954 number, she told me I only had to pay $59 for a FedEx fee, so I agreed (they recorded me agreeing). After I hung up I did some research and found out it was a scam, so when the package came in I decided not to pay. The employee from FedEx himself said that it sounded like a scam, and that I had to pay $159 in a money order to the company who called me and NOT FedEx. FedEx returned the package and the company called me saying they're going to sue me and destroy my credit for not paying. I'm 18 years old and I'm really worried, I didn't give them ANY information, just my name and address. Can they really sue me for $800 like the lady said? Btw the same lady is now a "lawyer" .

What makes you think 'the lady' is a Lawyer. Because she said she was--same folks who said you won thousands? They are NOT being truthful with you. A lawyer would NOT be on the phone wasting time with you. Total SCAM. Stop worrying. They won't do anything. Also, next time something is just too good to believe---it is..

Best of luck to you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Sounds to me like lying scammers. Steer clear.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes