Can I be sued by a stranger from a different state (Florida) after refusing to pay $160 to the company for a $1,500 gift card?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

I was informed that I had won a free $1,500 gift card and a free phone by a woman who called me from a 954 number, she told me I only had to pay $59 for a FedEx fee, so I agreed (they recorded me agreeing). After I hung up I did some research and found out it was a scam, so when the package came in I decided not to pay. The employee from FedEx himself said that it sounded like a scam, and that I had to pay $159 in a money order to the company who called me and NOT FedEx. FedEx returned the package and the company called me saying they're going to sue me and destroy my credit for not paying. I'm 18 years old and I'm really worried, I didn't give them ANY information, just my name and address. Can they really sue me for $800 like the lady said? Btw the same lady is now a "lawyer" .

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Best Answer

Answered . No.
    What makes you think 'the lady' is a Lawyer. Because she said she was--same folks who said you won thousands? They are NOT being truthful with you. A lawyer would NOT be on the phone wasting time with you. Total SCAM. Stop worrying. They won't do anything. Also, next time something is just too good to believe---it is..

Best of luck to you.

2. L. Maxwell Taylor

2

Answered . Sounds to me like lying scammers. Steer clear.