Can I be sued by a collection agency for missing a payment that wasn't actually scheduled?

Asked 9 months ago - Jonesborough, TN

I have a credit card placed in collections. On 8/8/13 I got a letter stating they agreed to a payment plan of $100.00 per month starting 10/15/13. I paid this on 10/15/13 again on 11/13/13. Now I am getting sued for no payment in Sept. The letter clearly stated the payment plan begins 10/15/13. Can they do this?

1. Darrell Lane Castle

Pro

2

Answered . You can be sued for anything. The question is who wins. If what you say is truly what the contract says and its in writing then you have a good chance of prevailing in court but you might decide to deal with your debt situation and see a bankruptcy lawyer.

2. Jason Wade Barnette

1

Answered . Unfortunately, yes. Is the actual credit card issuer suing you in General Sessions Court or is it a debt purchaser? It makes a big difference and if it is the latter, we certainly can help you.

Feel free to contact us.

3. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

Answered . Yes. Get a lawyer.

4. Brett D Weiss

Pro

Answered . Yes they can. As the saying goes, anyone can sue anyone for anything.

It doesn't mean that they'll win, however.