Can I be sued? My husband's Mom passed away and all five of her boys went to court and had everything transferred.

Asked over 1 year ago - Magnolia, MS

Courthouse records show now that all property is in their name at courthouse. The problem is she had a truck in her name (still is) and they gave it to a grandson who's girlfriend has a suspended license and she is driving the truck with no insurance. The grandson has yet to get a new title on the vehicle. I put my husband's name on a quick claim deed? So can I be sued?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jon H Powell


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm missing what you've done that you could be sued over.

    If the issue your concerned about is when you say "I put my husband's name on a quick claim deed", then my question would be: Did you own the property that you deed to your husband? If so, then I fail to see who could sue you over that. If you filed a Quitclaim Deed conveying it to your husband for property that you did not have an ownership interest in, then you could be sued.

    More information is needed.

    If you are worried about being sued, the best thing to do is to schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss this matter fully.

    No attorney-client relationship has been formed by this answer. The answer given herein should not be your only... more
  2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer to review this situation and clean it up. At a bare minimum, the girlfriend has no business driving that truck. Take action now before someone gets hurt physically and/or financially. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Pankowski. I do not see how you can do anything about this. A QUIT Claim deed deals only with real estate and it appears that your summary is dealing with a truck. Since it sounds like you have a contested situation, nothing should be done without consulting an attorney, first. No one has legal authority to do anything with that truck, at this point, including driving it.

    I do not see how you can be sued. But the estate can be sued if the driver of the vehicle is involved in an accident.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,593 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,593 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering