Can I be sued? My husband's Mom passed away and all five of her boys went to court and had everything transferred.

Magnolia, MS |
Filed under: Estate planning

Courthouse records show now that all property is in their name at courthouse. The problem is she had a truck in her name (still is) and they gave it to a grandson who's girlfriend has a suspended license and she is driving the truck with no insurance. The grandson has yet to get a new title on the vehicle. I put my husband's name on a quick claim deed? So can I be sued?

You need a lawyer to review this situation and clean it up. At a bare minimum, the girlfriend has no business driving that truck. Take action now before someone gets hurt physically and/or financially. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

I agree with Attorney Pankowski. I do not see how you can do anything about this. A QUIT Claim deed deals only with real estate and it appears that your summary is dealing with a truck. Since it sounds like you have a contested situation, nothing should be done without consulting an attorney, first. No one has legal authority to do anything with that truck, at this point, including driving it.

I do not see how you can be sued. But the estate can be sued if the driver of the vehicle is involved in an accident.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

I'm missing what you've done that you could be sued over.

If the issue your concerned about is when you say "I put my husband's name on a quick claim deed", then my question would be: Did you own the property that you deed to your husband? If so, then I fail to see who could sue you over that. If you filed a Quitclaim Deed conveying it to your husband for property that you did not have an ownership interest in, then you could be sued.

More information is needed.

If you are worried about being sued, the best thing to do is to schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss this matter fully.

No attorney-client relationship has been formed by this answer. The answer given herein should not be your only inquiry into the matter or issue. You should schedule an appointment and seek the advice of an attorney to fully explain the facts so that the attorney can make an informed analysis and recommendation concerning your problem and advise you of all of your rights.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

I agree with you except possibly regarding the quit claim, if she has no interest. Unless there is fraud involved, wouldn't that be of no legal effect? I can sign a quit claim deed to YOUR house, if I want to. It would not have any legal effect. It merely signs away any rights I have in your property, (which are none). If she forged someone else's name or otherwise acted fraudulently, that would be different, of course.

Jon H Powell

Jon H Powell

Agreed as to the forgery being fraudulent. However, by signing a Quitclaim Deed she could have placed a cloud on someone else's title. Therefore, she could be named as a defendant in a suit to remove the cloud on title.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

That is a good point, Jon. Given the limited facts, it is probably best for asker to at least consult with an attorney to see what she has on her hands, if anything.

Wills and estates topics