Can I be served divorce papers on a national holiday? Martin Luther King Day?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Divorce papers were filed in Georgia. They were served on me in NY. Are these papers valid? Do I need to be re-served?

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

12

Answered . I can't see why not. There are prohibitions against serving on the Sabbath, but MLK day was a Monday.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

9

Answered . The service is valid under New York law.

3. John L Ponzini

8

Answered . While distasteful, it is valid service in Connecticut and probably in most States.

4. Steven Warren Smollens

7

Answered . Dear can I be served?

New York prohibits service of civil process on the first day of the week unless in a criminal proceedings or where authorized by statute. Service on a person known as a religious Saturday Sabbath observer, if malicious, is a misdemeanor.

5. Deborah G. Fiss

1

Answered . I am an attorney and the owner of a process service company. We never serve papers on legal holidays when the the Courts are closed because the licensing agency frowns upon it although Courts do not generally mind.