Can i be required to pay child support even if child is getting ssi

Asked over 2 years ago - Haines City, FL

on disablity from v.a and ssi with no other income how can this be possible

1. Brent Allan Rose

1

Answered . Yes. If the child receives SSI, it will impact the amount of child support you pay, but you may still have to pay. The impact generally depends on why the child receives SSI. If the child receives SSI because you receive SSI, you should receive a credit against your child support for the amount of SSI the child receives that actually is available to the other parent.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . SSI for a child means the child has significant disabilities. And while some credit can be given by the court for the child having income, I suspect the court is not willing to reduce child support much for a disabled child - they need all the help they can get.

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . Yes, you can be required to pay child support even though your child receives SSI benefits. The child support guidelines do not allow a parent to claim that the child's SSI benefits are to be deducted from the paying parent's child support requirements. In other words, your obligation is not reduced by what the child receives.

The benefit is the child's, independent of your income.

The fact that your sole source of income comes from your own SSI and VA benefits does not mean that you are not required to provide support for your child. All disability benefits you receive are treated as income in determining the amount of your support obligation.