Can i be required to pay child support even if child is getting ssi

Haines City, FL |

on disablity from v.a and ssi with no other income how can this be possible

Yes. If the child receives SSI, it will impact the amount of child support you pay, but you may still have to pay. The impact generally depends on why the child receives SSI. If the child receives SSI because you receive SSI, you should receive a credit against your child support for the amount of SSI the child receives that actually is available to the other parent.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

how can i pay child support to a person i am legally married to but seperated ?

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

Happens all the time. In fact, it's common for child support to be paid from one spouse to another while they're still married. The only rule is that child support is not due if the spouses still live together with the children. Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether two people are married or not. Child support is still due.

SSI for a child means the child has significant disabilities. And while some credit can be given by the court for the child having income, I suspect the court is not willing to reduce child support much for a disabled child - they need all the help they can get.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, you can be required to pay child support even though your child receives SSI benefits. The child support guidelines do not allow a parent to claim that the child's SSI benefits are to be deducted from the paying parent's child support requirements. In other words, your obligation is not reduced by what the child receives.

The benefit is the child's, independent of your income.

The fact that your sole source of income comes from your own SSI and VA benefits does not mean that you are not required to provide support for your child. All disability benefits you receive are treated as income in determining the amount of your support obligation.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Child support topics