Can I be reinstated my child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - De Kalb, MO

I am a full - time dependent student and I still live with my mother . When I turned 18 , they continued to send me child support for a few months , but stopped it around September 2012 . I was not a student then ( in fact I had just gotten my GED certificate a few months before that ) , but I am - I started in January 2013 - now . I wrote them a letter asking for reinstatement , but they rejected me due to the fact I had a " gap " in my education because I didn't enroll in fall semester . Is this even legal for them to do that ? I really need help financially !

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Generally, in your state the child support obligation ends when the child reaches 18 years of age or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. I believe a GED counts as graduating from high school, and now you are 18, too, so I don't think child support will resume unless there was a private agreement to extend it beyond the minimum statutory requirement. Good luck!

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . You should consult a local attorney - but at age 18 your rights change.