Skip to main content

Can I be prosecuted for sending a sexual photo to a minor whom I never met and never thought to be underage -from a dating site

Atlanta, GA |

contacted by relative who found my name and number . . . described how his underage relative was psychologically harmed by this . . . I denied it - said I must have been hacked . I HAVE gone on line to date ( man for man ) but NEVER interested in underage

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Get a very good criminal lawyer. You may need him or her.

    And STOP posting about this on the internet. The question you posted is now on the public internet where police and prosecutors can see it and use your statement as an admission of a crime. That was very unwise. See a lawyer and stay quiet.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  2. Absolutely you can. You face prison and a lifetime on the sex offender registry.

    Stop posting about it and do NOT talk to the police. Call me Monday.

    ↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

  3. You could be looking at a minimum charge of Obscene Internet Contact with a Minor. You also could be charged with Computer Child Exploitation. Both of these are felonies and conviction for either will require you to register as a sexual offender. However, according to the content of your conversation(s) with this minor, a good attorney might be able to get your charges reduced to Furnishing Obscene Material to a Minor (a misdemeanor). You need to retain counsel now, before the police are at your door with a search warrant to seize your computer. Call me if I can be of assistance.

    Allen R. Knox
    125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

  4. This is a very serious offense. Stay off the internet with this confession! Do not talk to any of your friends or family about this or text or email any info on this issue. You are looking at the possibility of a felony conviction and a listing on the Sex Offender Registry. You need an office consultation with a criminal defense attorney ASAP.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics