Can I be prevented from buying a car if I owe back child support payments?

Asked over 4 years ago - Brockton, MA

A client wants to buy a car and he is afraid that he will be denied due to back child support payments being outstanding. Is it possible for him to buy a car in order to get a job and go to work?

Additional information

If there is a Judgement for back child support payments and it is appearing on his credit report, is there any way for him to get around that? His child/children are in their mid-twenties now.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kara O'Donnell

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If he has a judgment for child support then it could be appearing on his credit report. And if so, banks and dealers have the right to deny or approve any application for credit they get.

  2. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Under some circumstances, his license could also be suspended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,176 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,176 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering