Can I be present for the supervised visits between my husband and my kids?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bellflower, CA

I have a restraining order against my husband because of the abuse to my children, not me. On the restraining order it says we cannot have any contact (all of us) EXCEPT: Brief and peaceful contact with me, and peaceful contact with children as required for court-ordered visitation of children. However it is a professionally supervised visit. I'm not familiar with this whole process.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Nadezhda M Habinek

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . This is impossible to answer for sure without seeing your restraining order paperwork. However, usually the "brief and peacuful contact" condition includes just that only: brief contact. Normally the point of professional supervision for visits is that the other party to the restraining order is not present. Only the parent having the visit, and the professional supervisor are present. The point is to protect the protected party on the restraining order.

    I'm curious that you say you have the restraining order. If YOU have the order against your husband, then YOU are the main protected party. If you meant instead to file a restraining order ON BEHALF OF your children (as their guardian ad litem), that is a different thing. At this point you should not be present during the supervised visits, but you can get a new court date and seek to have the issue cleared up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering