Skip to main content

Can I be legally married to someone who is already married?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

I married a man in Idaho, he was still legally married in Washington State. I did not know that he was still married when I married him. Do I have to annull the marriage? Is the marriage even legal? Do I have to go through the courts in order to annul the marriage?

I married a man, that thought he was divorced in 2007, have found out since that he isn't. What do I need to do? We got married in Missouri and he was married to her in North Carolina.

Attorney Answers 1


You are not married. You cannot be married to someone who is already married --- that is called bigamy, bigamy is a crime. You need to file a Petition to have your marriage declared invalid, i.e. Petition for Invalidty of Marriage (washington's form of anullment) This has to be done through the courts in King County. Hire an attorney to hlep you. It's not a complicated procedure, but can be time consuming, especially if your ex is trying to hide in that he has commited a crime by marrying you while he was still married.

Mark as helpful

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics