Can I be legally excused from jury duty?

Jefferson Valley, NY |

I am a resident of Putnam County, New York.
I have no transportation. No income except SS. A car is available only on weekend's and the owner's day off. I live in a rural area. No buses.
My activity is limited due to arthritis and anxiety incontinence, the latter especially making public transportation (if available) very problematic. Difficult to obtain "doctor's note" as insurance change upon turning 65 leaves me without current physician. I have not seen a doc in over a year.
WAS a volunteer firefighter. Would not mind serving on jury if it would not be such a problem for me.

Joe

1. Not a great excuse.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. If tou resist, you will be absorbed. If you slip through and state your piece, you'll be released.

Employee benefits topics