Can I be in a public venue if I have a stalking order against me?

Portland, OR |

A women "FRIEND" of my husbands got a stalking order approved. While out watching my husband perform said women showed up and asked her friend to tell me to leave. Can I be in a public venue if she is there and I was there long before she was?

You can be in a public place, sure; but if the person who has the restraining order appears there, you have to leave. If you don't, you can be arrested for violating the stalking protective order. The first violation is a Class A misdemeanor; any subsequent one is a Class C felony.

If this person repeatedly seeks you out, then you MIGHT be able to use this as a basis to have the order overturned. But this is not easy to prove.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Presumably the stalking order says you must leave if she arrives at the same place you are. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter that you were there first.