Can I be held responsible for a debit my ex-wife co-signed on?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colville, WA

I just got divorced in WA and a receieved a negative credit alert that two collections were posted to my account. The one I am most concerned with is the one in which she co-signed for someone for a car. Per the legal rules they can go after me if contractual privity exists (which does not because I was not party to the debt) or if the marital community benefited from the debt (in this case, since it was a co-signed loan, there was no benefit to the marital community).
Can someone clarify/support this? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

3

Answered . I suggest you speak to a local attorney as soon as possible. However, in New Jersey if you are the co-signer on a loan and the other party fails to pay, you are responsible. Bankruptcy is one option. I have attached a link to our guide to Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. If this answer is helpful, please mark it as helpful or best answer. Your feedback is appreciated.

2. Justin D Kelly

2

Answered . Check with a local BK attorney as soon as possible. Washington is a community property state, so there could be CP nuances or language in your Marital Settlement Agreement/Divorce Decree that specifically addresses your liability. You should bring a copy of your MSA/DD to the bankruptcy attorney.

Best of luck!