Can I be held responsible for a car gave as a gift but never registered.

Asked about 1 year ago - Bristol, TN

I gave my daughter a car she never registered. She was in a wreck and my expired tag was on the car. I signed the title and gave to her months ago.

1. William Bliss Hicky

4

Answered . It's possible, but I would need more facts. First, how old is your daughter? If she is a minor, you could be liable. Assuming she is not, it looks from the facts that you passed title to her months leading up to the accident, and she failed to register the vehicle, pay taxes (if any), and get new tags.

The transfer of title should be enough to help you avoid liability. However, since the vehicle was still titled in your name when the accident occurred, you will in all likelihood be named in the lawsuit.

Pro

3

Answered . Inform your insurance company

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Please tell me you had insurance -- contact your carrier to discuss -- you may want to start with your agent!!