Can I be held liable for a car accident that my spouse had while we were seperated. He had the car and did not maintain insuran

Asked 9 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

he did not maintain insurance. the other parties car insurance paid the damages and is now sueing both of us to retrive the money they paid. During the seperation the time of the accident he had the vechile but he did not maintain the insurance without my knowledge. In addition there was a order of protection issued to protect me and a no contact order. He is now my ex husband.

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, if you were a co-owner of the vehicle and the collision occurred in the State of Florida.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Dennis Michael Phillips

2

Answered . The dangerous instrumentality doctrine applies to ultimately hold liable the owners of a vehicle that is negligently maintained or operated that causes damages to someone's person or property. When it's not the owner that negligently drives the car, the usual first loophole you try to jump through is that the driver was not given permission to drive by the owner. I presume that you permitted him to use the car because you seem surprised and offended that he let the insurance lapse. But, under the circumstances, you weren't given the opportunity to give permission to drive your uninsured car. That might be your best argument against personal liability.

3. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

1

Answered . You can be held liable if you were an owner of the car. It doesn't matter whether insurance was active. Consult an attorney to see if they can negotiate the claim brought against you. If not, you will have to answer the suit and defend it yourselves.

4. David J. McCormick

2

Answered . Hopefully you have or had a divorce lawyer. If so, you need to contact them ASAP because you could be held responsible since you were still married at the time. Is this crash mentioned in your final divorce decree? There could be other mitigating factors in your favor, but you probably need the assistance of an attorney.

5. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

Answered . If you were listed on the vehicle's title or registration, then yes, because Florida is a dangerous instrumentality state. This is precisely why I don't loan my car to anyone and my wife and I keep our cars titled separately. That way, if she is at-fault for a loss in her car, no one can come after me, and if I am at-fault for a loss in my car, no one can come after her.

Pro

1

Answered . If you were co-owner